WHAT IS DREPANOSTAT?
Drepanostat (Hydroxylmethylbenzoic acid) is a sickle cell management drug which comes in 10mg capsules. Drepanostat inhibits the red blood cells sicklings, preventing the destruction of the sickled(ing) red blood cells whereby increasing the production volume of the foetal haemoglobin which results to lessened pain during crisis.
BASIC BENEFITS OF DREPANOSTAT:
- Drepanostat provides an opportunity to enhance the quality of life of sickle cell anemia patients
- Drepanostat is an original molecule especifically inhibiting the formation of sickle red blood cells.
- Drepanostat is a drug that prevents the major complications of SS, SC, SB Thalassaemia.
MECHANISM OF ACTION:
- Drepanostat increases foetal Haemoglobin levels
- Drepanostat prevents or reduces haemolysis
- Drepanostat inhibits erythrocyte hyperaggregability
- Drepanostat normalizes the red cell cellular membrane
- Drepanostat inhibits or prevents red blood cell sickling
- Drepanostat produces increased solubility of Haemaoglobin S
- Drepanostat increases oxygen capacity transport of Haemoglobin S